[ipv6-ops] Re: Address Management in IPv6

Aaron Hughes aaronh at bind.com
Tue Jan 4 23:08:57 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 01:55:51PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On 1/4/2011 12:38 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:
> >
> >On 4 Jan 2011, at 13:39, Graham Beneke wrote:
> >
> >>We currently store our subnet assignments in a wiki and don't record
> >>host assignments.
> >>What tools are available for tracking and recording IPv6 assignments
> >>within an organisation? Does anyone have good or bad experiences with
> >>particular apps?
> >
> >Last time I had to answer this question, I reached for Haci (coming from
> >ipplan too). Haci's interface is a lot cleaner than ipplan. I understand
> >that since I had to make that decision, the ipplan developer has added
> >v6 support.
> >
> >However, next time I need to select an IPAM tools, I will definitely
> >look again at 6connect IPAM - http://www.6connect.net/platform/ipam/. I
> >had a demo of it recently, and it included out of the box a bunch of the
> >automation scripts that one needs to bolt onto the FOSS tools to make
> >them useful. I certainly recommend you look at this software.
> >

> With ARIN going to the REST interface late last year I would
> strongly recommend before laying your cash down that you get an
> ironclad guarantee from this company that IPAM will interface
> to ARIN through the REST interface and NOT through the older
> e-mail interface (that ARIN is phasing out) for SWIP filing,
> before you buy it, or that any needed upgrades to doing this
> will be free.

Being the primary author of 6connect's IPAM tool suite I can tell you that we are the only software provider that supports this based on ARINs RESTful Web Service for Whois doc and even support the POST/PUT commands in the beta API doc. This however, is not currently supported by ARIN itself. I had a long conversation with them about the REST interface API, SWIP templates etc and the only currently supported step is to add the $API_KEY to the subject line of existing templates. Even with the announcement of the new templates, as I understand it today, ARIN has still not solidified the API interface (for writing) and all IPAM coders should expect the Schema and API writes (POST/PUT/DELETE) to change. I am on the list for beta testers and will happily share the results with this list as progress is made.

Cheers,
Aaron

--

Aaron Hughes
aaronh at bind.com
+1-831-824-4161
Key fingerprint = AD 67 37 60 7D 73 C5 B7 33 18 3F 36 C3 1C C6 B8
http://www.bind.com/