Broken sites for AAAA (list)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 28 18:48:40 CEST 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2011, at 4:25 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
>> 	3) I am running the query again on a non-broken host (Linux), hopefully there will be no problems there.  It may take a few hours to get a full set of results.
>>
>> 	A few sample results. - format: hostname|ipv4+ipv6 ips|v4 nameserver result|v6 nameserver result
>>
>> -- snip --
>> www.capitalone.com.|208.80.48.112|OK|Temporary failure in name resolution
>> www.kitco.com.|66.38.218.33|OK|Temporary failure in name resolution
>> www.priceline.com.|64.6.17.1|OK|Temporary failure in name resolution
>> -- snip --
>
> I've posted two files now -
>
> http://puck.nether.net/~jared/aaaa/broken-aaaa-sites.txt.gz
> http://puck.nether.net/~jared/aaaa/mass-a-aaaa-queries.txt.gz
>
> The first is a filtered list, the second is the full list.

I've also now uploaded some more detailed dns information about how a few resolvers handle the problems observed.

I ran the list against 3 resolvers, the NTT (BIND), Google and OpenDNS systems.  They have slightly different behaviors depending on the exact failure condition of the domain.  Some return NOERROR for AAAA when a query for 'ANY' returns SERVFAIL.  I'm trying to follow-up with OpenDNS on their behavior. They are the least likely to return any form of an error.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually interested in these details, or summary stats on the queries.  I am thinking about doing a short presentation at the upcoming NANOG regarding these stats.

I do want to thank *everyone* for putting up with my inane blathering on here and the feedback provided regarding the various problems identified.  It has spawned at least one CDN to go back to their vendor and ask questions, and some [albeit minor] discussion on the bind-users list.

And now for the urls for you to pull down the full dig output:

http://puck.nether.net/~jared/aaaa/host_list2.dig+trace.output.txt (Truncated due to dig error handling, need to research further)
http://puck.nether.net/~jared/aaaa/host_list2.dig.google.txt
http://puck.nether.net/~jared/aaaa/host_list2.dig.opendns.txt
http://puck.nether.net/~jared/aaaa/host_list2.dig.output.txt

The list of hosts I queried are in a file there as well called host_list2.txt, which is just the copy of broken-aaaa-sites.txt.gz from above.

ONE MORE THING:

I saw a few people did pull down the source, I am curious about feedback on using it on various systems.

- Jared