draft-ietf-v6ops-3177bis-end-sites WGLC

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Oct 24 22:29:05 CEST 2010

One thing that concerns me is this:

" RFC3177 suggested that some multihoming approaches (e.g., GSE) might
   benefit from having a fixed /48 boundary. This no longer appears to
   be a consideration."

As long as those approaches keep any smaller assignments out of the
global routing table, then fine.  It is going to be hard enough for
dual-stacked operators getting full routes to deal with the explosion of
/48 routes from PI space that will happen when the current v4 multihomed
nets start announcing their /48 assignments.

A v6 route consumes 4x the resources on a router as a v4 route does.
A network that is multihomed on v4 will likely also be multihomed on v6.
A network will likely be multihomed on both protocols at the same time
initially and for some period after they begin to announce their v6
assignment.

Given the above, when the mass migration begins, there will be no
reduction in the v4 table and an explosion of the v6 table.  Routers are
going to blow up once the combined table gets to about 500,000 v4 route
equivalent.  Granted, due to the larger assignments in v6, the migration
of individual network blocks will not be 1-to-1 in that an end site with
multiple non-contiguous v4 small assignments can operate with a larger
v6 aggregate but nevertheless the v4 table will not shrink and the v6
table will grow.

I am currently accepting down to a /48 from PI space but not accepting
nets that small from PA space.  It is going to be pretty hard for folks
to try to multihome using PA space.  Even if they convince their
upstream to punch a hole in their aggregate and announce a smaller net,
getting other people to accept that smaller net is going to be a
problem.

In summary, anything smaller than a /48 in PI space is likely to be
useless if it is announced globally as many will not accept it.

Baker