draft-ietf-v6ops-3177bis-end-sites WGLC

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Oct 25 03:42:56 CEST 2010

On Oct 24, 2010, at 1:29 PM, George Bonser wrote:

> A v6 route consumes 4x the resources on a router as a v4 route does.

I'm not sure I agree with that. There is a fair bit that goes into the RIB entry - what routing protocol uses it, current state, and so on. I would expect the actual prefix/address to be a relatively small part of that, perhaps 10-15%.

In the FIB, you're approximately correct. The FIB contains the prefix (address and length) and a pointer to a list of zero or more next hops.