On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Mar 15 18:10:56 CET 2010

Ole Troan wrote:
>> I wonder, how no connectivity could be better than some?
>
> because content providers measure the difference between IPv4 and
> IPv6 behaviour for dual stack hosts. if the number of hosts with
> broken IPv6 connectivity or with significantly worse latency than
> IPv4, they will not enable IPv6.
>
> to put it bluntly: if you don't get IPv6 from your SP, then don't
> bother. you are doing more harm to IPv6 deployment than good.

Please quit FUDDing.  Content providers only care that customers on
the Internet are able to get at their offerings.  Ebay, Craigslist and
Amazon don't give a crap about latency of a connection if they get a
credit card number over the connection for a valid order.  And there
are still a VERY LARGE minority of people on dialup-only IPv4, so
quit being a connectivity snob - the worst IPv6 broadband connection
out there is going to have lower latency than a 56k dialup modem!!!

While the IPv6 deployment isn't served by "broken IPv6 connectivity" any
content provider looking at IPv6 knows 2 things, first that most if not
all IPv6 connections to their dual-stacked servers are "beta testing",
(since IPv4 is still available from the RIR's)  second that the more
connectivity options they have to their servers the greater the chance
that someone will be able to connect to them and get their content.

You seem to assume the content providers on the Internet are idiots.
They know that IPv6 right now is in it's infancy, and they are watching
the usage of it.  What is more important right now is GETTING the
IPv6 connections from users, not how good they are.  That's what
they are paying attention to.

Lastly, SP's aren't going to offer IPv6 unless they see monetary loss by
not offering it.  Obviously the best way is customer loss but there are
others. Currently, Ivan's VPN solution essentially REWARDS his current
non-IPv6-offering SP - however, Ivan can easily counteract that by
calling into his SP, weekly if necessary, demanding IPv6.  It costs
a SP money to pay labor to answer the telephone, and if Ivan makes 2
phone calls a month and gets a live human being at his SP on the
phone for at least 10 minutes, "filibustering" for IPv6, (ie:
talking on and on an on touting his IPv6 VPN solution and how much
better native IPv6 would be) then he will have eaten up all profit for
the month for his SP on his account - and if enough people do this, then
even SP's who are hostile to IPv6 will be forced to deploy it.

Ted