On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Ole Troan otroan at employees.org
Mon Mar 15 18:58:34 CET 2010

Ted,

>>> I wonder, how no connectivity could be better than some?
>> because content providers measure the difference between IPv4 and
>> IPv6 behaviour for dual stack hosts. if the number of hosts with
>> broken IPv6 connectivity or with significantly worse latency than
>> IPv4, they will not enable IPv6.
>> to put it bluntly: if you don't get IPv6 from your SP, then don't
>> bother. you are doing more harm to IPv6 deployment than good.
>
> Please quit FUDDing.  Content providers only care that customers on
> the Internet are able to get at their offerings.  Ebay, Craigslist and Amazon don't give a crap about latency of a connection if they get a
> credit card number over the connection for a valid order.  And there
> are still a VERY LARGE minority of people on dialup-only IPv4, so
> quit being a connectivity snob - the worst IPv6 broadband connection
> out there is going to have lower latency than a 56k dialup modem!!!

see: https://sites.google.com/site/ipv6implementors/conference2009/agenda/10_Lees_Google_IPv6_User_Measurement.pdf?attredirects=0

which shows that a dual stack host is about 150ms slower using IPv6 than IPv4, and that ~0.08% of the hosts have broken IPv6. (please take notice in the presentation that there is quite a bit of statistical uncertainty because of few IPv6 clients).

> While the IPv6 deployment isn't served by "broken IPv6 connectivity" any content provider looking at IPv6 knows 2 things, first that most if not all IPv6 connections to their dual-stacked servers are "beta testing",
> (since IPv4 is still available from the RIR's)  second that the more
> connectivity options they have to their servers the greater the chance
> that someone will be able to connect to them and get their content.
>
> You seem to assume the content providers on the Internet are idiots.
> They know that IPv6 right now is in it's infancy, and they are watching
> the usage of it.  What is more important right now is GETTING the
> IPv6 connections from users, not how good they are.  That's what
> they are paying attention to.

if I was a content provider I would look hard at those numbers above to judge if I wanted to piss off 0.08% of my customers and slow down the web site for a quarter of a percent of the others.

if we continue to push for mechanisms which have higher probability of delivering broken IPv6 connectivity and/or high latency then I'm afraid that content providers will be reluctant to enable IPv6.

and users will disable it. see:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=disable+ipv6%2C+enable+ipv6

(and no, not even I pretend that the above is scientific, but users shouldn't search for "disable ipv6" at all. ;-))

cheers,
Ole