On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Ivan Shmakov ivan at main.uusia.org
Sun Mar 14 12:57:54 CET 2010

 >> With regards to leaving this ISP and looking for another, the state
 >> of the local market seemed (the last time I've checked it) so
 >> bitter, that I've chosen to make a deal with an ISP in another city
 >> instead, connecting to them with OpenVPN.

 > This is a cool workaround, and I'm sorry to hear about the sad state
 > of IP networking in your area.

 > (Actually this is why we *want* IPv6 - to get rid of NAT-based
 > Internet offerings...)

	The problem here is that most of the ISP here (at least those
	that offer services to private customers) just don't care.

	The other problems are, IIUC, that the staff isn't familiar of
	IPv6 (and it's a problem that needs a lot of care and time to
	resolve), and that the equipment is, most probably, was never
	tested to support IPv6.

	I'm trying my best to get the folks around here to familiarize
	themselves with IPv6 (including giving a talk at Software
	Freedom Day in 2009, and carrying over a course on computer
	networks, slightly biased towards IPv6, at the university I'm
	working at), but as one might guess, I have a plenty of other
	tasks to do.

 >> With that, and a few IPv4 I now have, I was able to get into IPv6,
 >> thanks to both HE.net and 6to4.  And my coworkers are in the deal,
 >> too.

 >> Now, given the story above, are you sure that the world at large is
 >> ready for the transition mechanisms to be shut down?

 > If you are using a configured tunnel from he.net, this is actually
 > *not* 6to4 :-) - 6to4 is auto-tunneling, using 2002:xx addresses,

	I know the difference.  The problem is that HE.net offers just a
	few /64, and I need somewhat larger address space.  And they
	don't seem to offer reverse DNS, which is available for 6to4.

	Perhaps I should have tried SixXS.net instead, but it implied a
	slightly longer time to set-up.  (OTOH, it works over NAT.  And
	these folks operate a fancy HTTP proxy that allows IPv4 users to
	connect IPv6 HTTP servers and vice versa, too!)

 > relying on an unknown-to-you anycast relay somewhere in the world
 > which is mostly impossible to troubleshoot.

	Well, it seems that HE.net operates a 6to4 relay that's open for
	those subscribed to their 6in4 service.

	The anycast address doesn't seem to work from my ISP's network.

 > Some migration mechanisms are going to stay with us for a while, and
 > "configured tunnels" (as he.net is offering) is one of them.

	Given that it implies no automagic, I'd not be surprised.

 > Other migration mechanisms work well for some, and do not work at all
 > for others, and you cannot fix it yourself because you rely on some
 > unknown third party services - that's what 6to4 is, and which is why
 > 6to4 (with anycast relays) is something prople consider potentially
 > harmful today.

	I wonder, how no connectivity could be better than some?

--
FSF associate member #7257