On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sun Mar 14 13:02:06 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 05:57:54PM +0600, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
>  > Other migration mechanisms work well for some, and do not work at all
>  > for others, and you cannot fix it yourself because you rely on some
>  > unknown third party services - that's what 6to4 is, and which is why
>  > 6to4 (with anycast relays) is something prople consider potentially
>  > harmful today.
>
> 	I wonder, how no connectivity could be better than some?

That really depends.  If you want to connect to an IPv6-only site,
"crappy connectivity" might be better than no connectivity at all.

If you connect to a dual-stack site, crappy IPv6 might actually make
the connection a lot slower and painful than "no IPv6" - because with
"no IPv6", the clients normally fall back to IPv4 pretty quickly.

Of course this is assuming that you have halfway decent IPv4 :-)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279