On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sun Mar 14 11:36:42 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 01:15:14PM +0600, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	With regards to leaving this ISP and looking for another, the
> 	state of the local market seemed (the last time I've checked it)
> 	so bitter, that I've chosen to make a deal with an ISP in
> 	another city instead, connecting to them with OpenVPN.

This is a cool workaround, and I'm sorry to hear about the sad state of
IP networking in your area.

(Actually this is why we *want* IPv6 - to get rid of NAT-based Internet
offerings...)

> 	With that, and a few IPv4 I now have, I was able to get into
> 	IPv6, thanks to both HE.net and 6to4.  And my coworkers are in
> 	the deal, too.
>
> 	Now, given the story above, are you sure that the world at large
> 	is ready for the transition mechanisms to be shut down?

If you are using a configured tunnel from he.net, this is actually *not*
6to4 :-) - 6to4 is auto-tunneling, using 2002:xx addresses, relying on
an unknown-to-you anycast relay somewhere in the world which is mostly
impossible to troubleshoot.

Some migration mechanisms are going to stay with us for a while, and
"configured tunnels" (as he.net is offering) is one of them.

Other migration mechanisms work well for some, and do not work at all
for others, and you cannot fix it yourself because you rely on some
unknown third party services - that's what 6to4 is, and which is why
6to4 (with anycast relays) is something prople consider potentially
harmful today.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279