IPv6 cookbook - was RA vs. DHCPv6 discussion

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jun 9 10:21:44 CEST 2010

 [irrelevant SCIENCE references deleted]

> But THE FACT IS THAT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS EVERYONE'S CONVENIENT
> LANGUAGE.

Actually, your references only demonstrate that English is convenient
for the few people who form part of the scientific elite which engage
in publishing research and teaching. Even that is probably still a
minority of scientists.

Here in the real world of network operations we see things like this
<http://www.interface.ru/home.asp?artId=18323>

If you can't read Russian, it translates as "Cisco translated into
Russian
its CCNA and CCENT certification programmes".

> Like it or not, there are fundamental advantages to using a SINGLE
> language in the diplomatic, scientific, economic and technological
> realm.

In the diplomatic realm English-speaking government officials make
a point of using their native language with translators when they
meet, such as the UN Security Council. A notable exception was when
Vladimir Putin and Angela Merkel of Germany met without translators
because both were fluent in German and Russian.

In the technological realm, the few who can manage good English, spend
some of their time translating documents into their native language
or presenting at conferences in their native language. You, however,
being handicapped by not speaking several languages, cannot see this
even though it is blatantly obvious to the rest of us.

Let's all remember that we need to get everybody to deploy IPv6 in
order to achieve the network effects which make the Internet such
a valuable tool. And to do that, someone needs to speak their language
and teach them. Best practices should be widely available in as many
languages as possible, and if we can manage to collect them in one
place, and publicise the collection, then other people will do the
translating work. We don't have to organize that; we just have to
collect the best practices of IPv6 in the first place.

--Michael Dillon