IPv6 cookbook - was RA vs. DHCPv6 discussion

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Jun 9 02:06:23 CEST 2010

On 6/5/2010 12:13 PM, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> Thus wrote michael.dillon at bt.com (michael.dillon at bt.com):
>
>> If everyone just publishes their experiences on their blogs, then
>> a newcomer who tries to make use of that information on a slightly
>> different network will run into problems.
>
> If everybody just wrote on one English-language wiki, a rather large
> audience would be left completely uninformed. May I remind you that
> other languages exist and not everyone running computers speaks English?

 From 1997 University of Brunei :

http://www.tribunes.com/tribune/art97/wooda.htm

"...Whatever method we may use to measure the growth in science, whether
it be number of journals, number of articles, number of patents, it is
clear that the trend is still inexorably upwards. And increasingly the
language of publication is English...."

 From 2004  Associated Press:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4387421/

"...“English is likely to remain one of the world’s most important
languages for the foreseeable future..."

"...English has become the dominant language of science, with an
estimated 80 percent to 90 percent of papers in scientific journals
written in English, notes Scott Montgomery in a separate paper in the
same issue of Science. That’s up from about 60 percent in the 1980s, he
observes...."

 From 2008  Live Journal:

http://kvarko.livejournal.com/64285.html

"...Over the past 80 years, there has been a steady increase in the
proportion of scientific publications written in English and a
corresponding decrease in the use of all other languages for global
scientific communication...."

And finally from 2007 NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/world/europe/10iht-engbiz.2.5212499.html

"...We understand that economics is a discipline, like most scientific
fields, where the research is published in English," the petition read,
in apologetic tones. But it declared that it is "unacceptable" for a
native French professor to teach standard courses to French-speaking
students in the adopted tongue of English..."

In other words, IN FRANCE, we have NATIVE FRENCH, teaching NATIVE FRENCH
students - IN ENGLISH.

So OK, I GET that there is this thing called Political Correctness that
causes us to want to make a nod to languages other than English.

But THE FACT IS THAT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS EVERYONE'S CONVENIENT
LANGUAGE.

Like it or not, there are fundamental advantages to using a SINGLE
language in the diplomatic, scientific, economic and technological realm.

Nobody is saying that native languages need to go away and be
replaced.

But what non-English speakers have discovered is that in any
relations between other non-native speakers, you have 2 choices,
learn THEIR language (unacceptable since they don't have to then
expend effort learning yours) or learn a 3rd party language since
then they have to learn it too and your both even.  English is a
convenient language for this.

Imagine getting a native speaker of, say Arabic, to speak Hebrew
as a second language.  That's why Israelis and Muslims use English
when they communicate with each other.

Ted