The use of RIPng

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Fri Jun 4 17:47:14 CEST 2010

Hi Mark and list,

Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net> writes:

> I generally do prefer to lock-down my Router ID's (even
> though some feel this is too much work),

So do I.  And with OSPFv3/IPv6 you have to do so anyway.

> but in the case of IOS, we run IS-IS anyway.

Whatever gets the job done.

>> Depends.  My larger customers frequently insist on
>>  keeping IPv4 and IPv6 on separate machines in production
>>  setups so they won't accidentially interfere with each
>>  other.
>
> If by "interfering" you mean with regard to the routing
> protocols, OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 are ships-in-the-night.

No, it's not something related to routing protocols at all (despite
your point about IS-IS being perfectly valid).

It's more about having to upgrade production equipment to support
IPv6, management and established business processes being rather
restrictive about doing "unnecessary" changes on production equipment
and having signed service level agreements for IPv4 but not IPv6.

At least here in Germany those ISPs and hosting providers that offer
IPv6 tend to offer IPv6 on a "no guarantees" basis only, giving both
their customers and themselves a chance to get their hands dirty.

> However, if by "interfering" you mean v4 and v6 traffic not
> playing nice with each other in a single router, that should
> be filed as a bug with your vendor :-).

Definitely.  Preferably by sending back whatever you bought from
them and demanding your money back in return:-)

> And you probably want to start finding such problems early on.

Sure, but I'd rather not do that on production machines.

> We currently have no data on how enterprise customers will
> deploy v6, in that degree of detail.

Well, you never know what people do when they have to get things done
in a rush, but so far there's a tendency (and good reasons) not to
deploy unnecessary dual-stacking at a large scale.

Of course, to anybody offering public Internet access (ISPS, Internet
cafes and university (W)LANs immediately come to mind), dual-stacking
will be a necessity for quite some time.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6