The use of RIPng

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jun 9 00:38:49 CEST 2010

On Friday 04 June 2010 11:47:14 pm Benedikt Stockebrand
wrote:

> So do I.  And with OSPFv3/IPv6 you have to do so anyway.

No, you don't.

The highest IPv4 (Loopback) address on the router will be
used as the Router ID. Leaving it non-deterministic may be
risky, but valid.

> At least here in Germany those ISPs and hosting providers
>  that offer IPv6 tend to offer IPv6 on a "no guarantees"
>  basis only, giving both their customers and themselves a
>  chance to get their hands dirty.

Gert, is this true :-) - just curious, not out to crucify,
hehe?

In our case, we don't offer IPv4 access to the Internet
"guaranteed" anyway. We guarantee that it will work in as
far as forwarding it through our network is concerned (which
is easy to guarantee), but not after it leaves our network.
This is well-understood across the community.

In that respect, IPv6 is not different, for us.

Mark.