The use of RIPng

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jun 4 16:51:12 CEST 2010

On Friday 04 June 2010 01:57:28 am Benedikt Stockebrand
wrote:

> That's actually the one "anti-difference" between OSPFv2
>  and v3: With v3 it's still "a 32 bit integer that
>  happens to be written like an IP(v4) address", so you
>  want to be more careful there.
>
> And since duplicated router IDs are one of my favourite
>  exercises on basic OSPF(v3) troubleshooting...

I generally do prefer to lock-down my Router ID's (even
though some feel this is too much work), but in the case of
IOS, we run IS-IS anyway.

> Depends.  My larger customers frequently insist on
>  keeping IPv4 and IPv6 on separate machines in production
>  setups so they won't accidentially interfere with each
>  other.

If by "interfering" you mean with regard to the routing
protocols, OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 are ships-in-the-night.

That said, interference is more likely in IS-IS since both
IP protocols are integrated and supported by the routing
protocol. This is sometimes enabled by default in some
platforms, e.g., JUNOS. Lack of congruency between both IP
protocols, on the wire, will lead to a disruption of
adjacencies when v6 is turned up, dual-stack style.

However, if by "interfering" you mean v4 and v6 traffic not
playing nice with each other in a single router, that should
be filed as a bug with your vendor :-). And you probably
want to start finding such problems early on.

> As long as there is enough equipment around that has been
>  replaced by something bigger, that approach can actually
>  make sense, depending on the particular circumstances.

To each his own :-).

> That's likely to happen in less than "many years" (for
>  suitable definitions of "many") in some contexts:

I say "many" in the context of; even after the RIR's run out
of v4 space, allocations which will have already been dished
out will still be used for some time to build the network.

However, how "many" actually is depends on how much v4
address space you end up with at the time of your last
allocation, and how quickly you burn through it after that.
This will vary from network to network (or not).

>  There
>  is a tendency to dual-stack nodes and subnets on a
>  need-to-have basis only.  So there's a good chance that
>  enterprise environments will use either IPv4 or IPv6
>  only for individual desktop-style clients, most likely
>  IPv4 for XP and IPv6 for Win7, with dual-stacked clients
>  being the exception.

We currently have no data on how enterprise customers will
deploy v6, in that degree of detail. But what we do in
fixing the problems highlighted the long thread we had on v6
deployments in the LAN, will help determine that, moving
forward.

> In an ISP/Carrier context the situation is obviously
>  going to be different.

Indeed.

Cheers,

Mark.