The use of RIPng

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Thu Jun 3 19:57:28 CEST 2010

Hi again,

Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net> writes:

> Something tells me Nick is already familiar with this
> requirement in OSPFv2|v3 in IOS :-), and as such, supporting
> configuration was implied.

right.  I probably should've caught some sleep before posting, the
missing router ID only turns up this way with OSPFv3.

Apologies to Nick.

> The highest IPv4 Loopback or major interface address becomes
> the default Router-ID, and as such, does not necessarily
> call for the explicit definition of the same (even though
> this is not an uncommon design).

That's actually the one "anti-difference" between OSPFv2 and v3: With
v3 it's still "a 32 bit integer that happens to be written like an
IP(v4) address", so you want to be more careful there.

And since duplicated router IDs are one of my favourite exercises on
basic OSPF(v3) troubleshooting...

> The complaint you receive from the router is likely because
> you don't have any IPv4 address configured,

Correct.

> a somewhat unlikely scenario for now,

Depends.  My larger customers frequently insist on keeping IPv4 and
IPv6 on separate machines in production setups so they won't
accidentially interfere with each other.

As long as there is enough equipment around that has been replaced by
something bigger, that approach can actually make sense, depending on
the particular circumstances.

> but maybe so in many years when new users/networks will never have
> access to public v4 address space.

That's likely to happen in less than "many years" (for suitable
definitions of "many") in some contexts: There is a tendency to
dual-stack nodes and subnets on a need-to-have basis only.  So there's
a good chance that enterprise environments will use either IPv4 or
IPv6 only for individual desktop-style clients, most likely IPv4 for
XP and IPv6 for Win7, with dual-stacked clients being the exception.

In an ISP/Carrier context the situation is obviously going to be
different.

> But you probably know all this already :-).

Actually, it never occurred to me to set up OSPF without first setting
a router ID.  Call me paranoid if you like:-)

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6