The use of RIPng

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jun 2 11:52:52 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 02 June 2010 04:56:46 am Benedikt Stockebrand
wrote:

> Beyond that, your RIP configuration apparently works, but
>  your OSPF one doesn't---maybe in the future you could
>  try them out first, before publicly posting them.  I
>  have taken the liberty to dump your configuration into a
>  toy 1812W, running 12.4(15)T1, just to make sure that I
>  didn't just imagine the obvious error.  But I got what I
>  expected when I actually checked things:
>
>     Router#show ip ospf 1
>     %OSPF: Router process 1 is not running, please
>  configure a router-id Router#
>
> This is one of the very first things you should learn
>  about OSPF: Be extremely careful about properly setting
>  unique router IDs---even more so with OSPFv3, where an
>  IP address can't be conveniently re-used as a router ID.

Something tells me Nick is already familiar with this
requirement in OSPFv2|v3 in IOS :-), and as such, supporting
configuration was implied.

The highest IPv4 Loopback or major interface address becomes
the default Router-ID, and as such, does not necessarily
call for the explicit definition of the same (even though
this is not an uncommon design).

The complaint you receive from the router is likely because
you don't have any IPv4 address configured, a somewhat
unlikely scenario for now, but maybe so in many years when
new users/networks will never have access to public v4
address space.

But you probably know all this already :-).

Mark.