XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Aug 31 20:29:28 CEST 2010

Hi Arno,

thanks for answering this - I planned to dig into the documents to
see what the exact wording was but was away for two days.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 05:25:00AM -0400, Arno Meulenkamp wrote:
[..]
> > I don't see this in the policy. What's the deal with /56s then in the
> > policy?
>
> They simply use /56 for the calculation of the HD ratio. If you assign
> a /48, effectively, you've assigned 256 /56 blocks, as counting for
> the HD ratio.

Very clear :-)

> > 5.2.1. Subsequent allocation criteria
> >
> > Subsequent allocation will be provided when an organisation (i.e.
> > ISP/LIR) satisfies the evaluation threshold of past address utilisation
> > in terms of the number of sites in units of /56 assignments. The
> > HD-Ratio [RFC 3194] is used to determine the utilisation thresholds that
> > justify the allocation of additional address as described below.
>
> It might be good to rephrase the text to "Subsequent allocation will
> be provided when an organisation (i.e. ISP/LIR) satisfies the evaluation
> threshold of past address utilisation in terms of assigned address
> space in units of /56 blocks."
>
> That might bypass this confusion.

Yes, this sounds good.  I take this from there to APWG to discuss
and get the text clarified (most likely, run the change through the
formal PD process, as it *is* a change to the policy documents...)

Gert Doering
        -- APWG chair
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  155817

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279