XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Arno Meulenkamp meulenkamp at isoc.org
Mon Aug 30 11:25:00 CEST 2010

On 29 Aug 2010, at 04:19 , Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:52:31AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

>>> Yes, that's the problem. For just one customer.
>>
>> What's the *problem* here?  If you hand out your /32 in chunks of /48s
>> to your customers, and the /32 is full, it is *full* - and you're entitled
>> to get more space.
>
> I don't see this in the policy. What's the deal with /56s then in the
> policy?

They simply use /56 for the calculation of the HD ratio. If you assign a /48, effectively, you've assigned 256 /56 blocks, as counting for the HD ratio.

>> So why is this considered a problem?
> Please review the efficiency requirement using HD ratio. This
> requirement effectively sets a minimum amount of customers supported by
> a /32.

> 5.2.1. Subsequent allocation criteria
>
> Subsequent allocation will be provided when an organisation (i.e.
> ISP/LIR) satisfies the evaluation threshold of past address utilisation
> in terms of the number of sites in units of /56 assignments. The
> HD-Ratio [RFC 3194] is used to determine the utilisation thresholds that
> justify the allocation of additional address as described below.

It might be good to rephrase the text to "Subsequent allocation will be provided when an organisation (i.e.
ISP/LIR) satisfies the evaluation threshold of past address utilisation in terms of assigned address space in units of /56 blocks."

That might bypass this confusion.

> I see no specification in the policy on how many /48 assignments are
> required to be deemed qualified for a new/extended allocation. Same goes
> for any other size between /56 and /48.

ciao,

Arno