XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sun Aug 29 10:19:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:52:31AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

> > > An /48 assigned counts as "all the /56s in there are assigned".
> >
> > Yes, that's the problem. For just one customer.
>
> What's the *problem* here?  If you hand out your /32 in chunks of /48s
> to your customers, and the /32 is full, it is *full* - and you're entitled
> to get more space.

I don't see this in the policy. What's the deal with /56s then in the
policy?

> So why is this considered a problem?

Please review the efficiency requirement using HD ratio. This
requirement effectively sets a minimum amount of customers supported by
a /32.

5.2.1. Subsequent allocation criteria

Subsequent allocation will be provided when an organisation (i.e.
ISP/LIR) satisfies the evaluation threshold of past address utilisation
in terms of the number of sites in units of /56 assignments. The
HD-Ratio [RFC 3194] is used to determine the utilisation thresholds that
justify the allocation of additional address as described below.

5.2.2. Applied HD-Ratio

The HD-Ratio value of 0.94 is adopted as indicating an acceptable
address utilisation for justifying the allocation of additional address
space. Appendix A provides a table showing the number of assignments
that are necessary to achieve an acceptable utilisation value for a
given address block size.

..."the NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENTS"...

It's a difference wether I'm eligliable for more having made 2^16 or
2^32 assignments.

Using /48 blocks, I will never reach the required 6183533 assignments
because 6183533 > 2^16.

I see no specification in the policy on how many /48 assignments are
required to be deemed qualified for a new/extended allocation. Same goes
for any other size between /56 and /48.

Best regards,
Daniel