Cisco 1801W, v6 on wireless, bvi argh.

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Aug 5 16:03:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 01:56:17PM +0000, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:
>
> > Ah.  I didn't know that.  (I long lost track on the plethora of 8xx
> > ciscos that are all weird in their own way, like the 861 that is said
> > to never ever get IPv6 support in any way "because it is not powerful
> > enough").
>
> if "not powerful enough" actually means "not enough RAM and/or flash
> memory" and they are talking about dual stacking rather than
> *replacing* IPv4 with IPv6, their statement actually makes sense.

Well.  It's not like the 861 is an old product - there's 800 series
routers that are much older and do IPv6 just fine, like the 836...

So this is more like "how can a vendor position themselves as 'premium
vendor' and 'we do IPv6 everywhere!' and at the same time design a
product in, what, 2005?, that cannot do IPv6?"

It's not like this is a Linksys US$ 30 box...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  155817

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279