Cisco 1801W, v6 on wireless, bvi argh.

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Thu Aug 5 15:56:17 CEST 2010

Hi Gert and list,

Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:

> Ah.  I didn't know that.  (I long lost track on the plethora of 8xx
> ciscos that are all weird in their own way, like the 861 that is said
> to never ever get IPv6 support in any way "because it is not powerful
> enough").

if "not powerful enough" actually means "not enough RAM and/or flash
memory" and they are talking about dual stacking rather than
*replacing* IPv4 with IPv6, their statement actually makes sense.

The online data sheet hints that the 860 series has both flash and RAM
soldered on-board, so they are designed for a mostly fixed set of
functionalities.  If that didn't include IPv6 from the beginning, then
retrofitting it can be infeasible.

If you plan to gain weight, don't buy tight-fitting pants.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6