ipv6-ops Digest, Vol 56, Issue 6

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Wed Nov 18 14:59:31 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 01:12:35PM -0000, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> Nowadays, Netware is a strange hybrid with the SUSE Linux system under
> the name Open Enterprise Server. Even if it is using the Netware kernel,
> you can still install things like Apache or sendmail. So companies which
> trust Novell for their core network operating system now run some form
> of SUSE Linux and will tend to look to Novell for support information.
>
> That's why I think we could probably cure this problem if someone with
> contacts at Novell or SUSE, could raise the issue and suggest how they
> could correct their TID and issue an announcement about proper
> configuration of IPv6 on their servers.

I think that this dates back to the days when some resolvers responded to AAAA queries for names that have only A records with NXDOMAIN rather than NOERROR. I had a vague recollection that Netware was in that camp, and found some complaints from the 2003 era relating to anti-spam software that rejected outbound email from a site if it couldn't resolve the domain. It appears that this crude hack was a way to satisfy that test.

Bill.