Question about 6to4

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri May 15 21:11:09 CEST 2009

What do you use for this, Linux on a PC or a hardware device
of some sort?

> The difference to 6to4 is, that there is a common
> translation point: our PoP.
>
> The tunnel could worst case be initiated from their PC.

My preference is to do as little as possible on the end user
host.  What works the best is if you can tell them to open a command
prompt and ping w.x.y.z  or ping 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx  whatever
and have that work.  If we have to get beyond doing that, it's
money lost (both labor and overhead) on
a connectivity issue that could end up being that their kids
downloaded some porno the night before the put a trojan on
their PC.  Or, they didn't enable automatic updates and their
system got a virus.

The cheap residential router with native IPv6 is really the best solution.
We recommend these for every IPv4 customer, including the ones with a
single PC.  On occasion we get a call from a customer who has a
system that is literally so crapped up that it cannot even ping
the local router anymore.  Believe it or not it is actually
cheaper for a tech to stop by their house, plug in a laptop
to the router, demonstrate the circuit and Internet works perfectly,
then leave them to decide where they are going to take their
PC to get it decontaminated.  At most, one of those stops takes
20 minutes, plus maybe another 10 minutes on the initial call
that determines they are a hopeless case.  Over the phone I've seen
these support calls stretch over an hour or more.

Ted