Biggest mistake for IPv6: It's not backwards compatible, developers admit

Merike Kaeo merike at doubleshotsecurity.com
Mon Mar 30 18:57:50 CEST 2009

The important part is to get more people deploying v6 along with
their current infrastructures and yes, possibly at some point some of
the v4 will eventually go away.  But my gut feeling is that this may
be a different 'transition' than that from IPX, DECnet, etc.  The
'IPv4 will become non-essential' depends a lot on what applications
will evolve to in terms of what transports they use.

I am always mildly amused when I see appletalk is still configurable
on my MAC although not on by default.  And luckily it's a non-
essential protocol :)

- merike