Biggest mistake for IPv6: It's not backwards compatible, developers admit

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Mar 30 19:32:58 CEST 2009

This is a place where I find myself banging my head against the wall.

As I see it, there are six major proposals on the table.
    - provider-independent addressing (aka PI)
    - provider-dependent addressing (aka PA)
    - provider-dependent addressing with multiple prefix overlays in
multihomed networks (shim6)
    - private addressing with NAT, converting to provider-dependent
addressing at a DMZ
    - private addressing with Network Prefix Translation (GSE)
    - exchange-based addressing (aka Metropolitan addressing)

Each of those except straight PA give you ISP independence. Each of
them has issues; folks don't like shim6 because it transfers the
complexity to the edge networks, they don't like exchange-based
addressing because it forces the transit contracts to be inverted to
sender-pays, IPv6 was designed to solve a lot of the ills caused by
NAT so re-introducing NAT is a step back into the mire, folks don't
like GSE because they confuse it with NAT, and so on.

The issue with straight PI addressing is the issue that causes people
to wonder about the size of the route table. If you have never heard
the observation that "routing doesn't scale", I'm amazed. The thing
that makes routing "not scale", and so drives memory volumes and their
implied costs, both capex and opex, is that PI places a prefix on
every thing that can be routed to (now on the order of 10^6, within
the decade on the order of 10^7, per Marshall Eubanks' analysis at
NANOG) as opposed to the number of entities that require routing to
(autonomous systems or something like them, O(10^5)).

They say that insanity can be identified when someone applies the same
algorithm to the same data and expects a different result. If we go PI
- and yes, the RIRs appear to be headed down that path - I don't want
to hear any complaints about the size of the route table or the costs
it implies.

And I have to say that your assertion, that ways to provide ISP
independence have not been provided, is problematic. Ways have indeed
been provided, some of them (GSE) by the operator community. All of
them with the exception of the one that got us into the current mess
have been rejected out of hand without operational testing and without
much thought as near as I can tell. That doesn't leave me very
motivated to come up with yet another.