Biggest mistake for IPv6: It's not backwards compatible, developers admit

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Mar 30 19:47:59 CEST 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:55 AM, Tom Vest wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
>>> What is required is not for people (service architects, content
>>> providers, access providers, users) to turn off IPv4 and turn on
>>> IPv6, but instead to add IPv6 capability *in addition to* IPv4. If
>>> IPv6 has a future in our lifetimes (and I think it does) it is in
>>> an overwhelmingly dual-stack world, not a world of v6-only clients.
>>
>> I agree with you, with one exceptional point. At some point, IPv6
>> deployment will be widespread enough that most people are running
>> it. If that does not eventually become true, we never had a real
>> problem in the first place - and I will argue that the only reason
>> that IPv6 is at all an issue is that there is a problem. At the
>> point where most folks have deployed IPv6, just as happened with
>> DECNET, IPX, and others, IPv4 will become non-essential.
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> Does this mean that you completely discount the possibility that the
> perpetuation of IPv4 might represent a "local maximum," as someone
> put it in San Francisco -- i.e., an attractive short-term but
> inferior long-term solution, but one that once adopted could be very
> difficult or impossible to escape?

I don't. There are a number of things I don't discount. However, as
your further comment details, the local maximum is not a rational
model. As I just said in an email to Udo, I am frustrated with
people's irrationality, but I none-the-less hope that business
rationality will eventually force an outcome that makes sense. Color
me insane.