IPv6 Assignment Tracking Software

Michael W. Oliver me at kt2t.us
Fri Jan 16 05:42:40 CET 2009

On 2009-01-14T16:29:26-0500, Devon True wrote:
> All:
>
> How are people tracking their IPv6 assignments to customers? Using 3rd
> party software, spreadsheets, or just based off the router
> configuration? We currently use NorthStar for our IPv4 tracking but it
> does not support IPv6 (and some people are not happy with NorthStar). I
> looked at IPPlan, but found that I could not easily assign IPv4 subnets
> to customers without pre-allocating them as "free".
>
> I also found a few commercial programs like Diamond IP, Easy-IP, or QIP
> and I was hoping I could get any opinions on them.
>
> My ideal software would include the following:
>
> o Ability to track IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
> o A DB that we can import and export data to/from (postgres or mysql
> preferred)
> o A web interface
> o Ability to find IPv4 subnets easily (e.g. I have a /20, find me the
> next available /28 without having to pre-allocate /28s for use)
> o Robust search engine
> o Built-in rwhois is a bonus
>
> Thanks!

There was FreeIPDB from back in the day, developed by Ben April at Global
Crossing.  AFAIK, Ben left there and I had worked with a guy who was
still there named Monte to further development and get it working in a
sane way with MySQL (original design focused on PostgreSQL).  That was a
couple years ago.  Since then, I haven't received any response from
Monte for further development of the product, and in fact the
freeipdb.org domain has lapsed and is in the hands of a squatter.

I still have the source and in fact just tried to contact Ben through
Linked-In to ask about the status of the license and if he would
consider reviving the project, and have had no response yet.  I still
have the latest source that Monte and I worked on and have been
seriously thinking about sharpening my Perl-fu to get this working well.

I have been using IPPlan for a few years for IPv4, and have actually
contributed to the code base even though I work for a "telco".  No doubt
I am in the minority there.  Anyway, looking at the code for IPPlan, it
would be a helluva job to get it working well with IPv6, even if the
architecture of IPPlan suited your needs (not a given).

I will keep trying to contact Ben about FreeIPDB and if I can get a
positive response then I hope to open the project back up in some way.

Good luck, you are not alone.

--
Mike Oliver, KT2T
[see complete headers for contact information]