IPv6 Assignment Tracking Software

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Wed Jan 14 23:45:16 CET 2009

Devon True wrote:
> looked at IPPlan, but found that I could not easily assign IPv4 subnets
> to customers without pre-allocating them as "free".

IPPlan's policy on IPv6 is listed here:

http://iptrack.sourceforge.net/doku.php?id=faq

"One feature request that comes up from time to time is IPv6. Adding IPv6
support will require major effort but has such a limited audience.
Ironically the only people that ever requested IPv6 support are either from
Telcos, ISP's or government departments, yet they are never interested in
contributing resources! I deam them parasites of the Open Source world -
leaching off the good will and effort of the Open Source community, yet
give nothing in return."

Right now, it would take a major redesign of ipplan's back-end to support
ipv6.  As you note, its datastore depends on being able to enumerate all
possible addresses on a particular subnet - a model which fails
spectacularly in the ipv6 world.  I looked at the code a long time ago;  it
would be fugly to fix it.

Nick
(a parasite of the Open Source world)