Pirate Bay v6 breaks stuff?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jan 20 14:46:51 CET 2009

Hi,

The Pirate Bay is rolling out IPv6:

http://thepiratebay.org/blog/146

They now have an IPv6 tracker. I tried this with two clients (purely
for research purposes, of course): Azureus 3.0.3.4 and the (original?)
BitTorrent 4.1.7 python client. Neither of them could do anything
useful when connected to the tracker over IPv6, and neither of them
would fall back to IPv4 as far as I can tell.

Anyone else seeing the same issues?

As far as I know, the original BitTorrent specification allows for
IPv6 but later updates optimized away the possibility of communicating
IPv6 addresses or host names and only work with IPv4 addresses, but I
have no idea about the capabilities of various software.

Tip: if you're having this type of trouble on FreeBSD, this will make
the client connect to the tracker over IPv6. Creating a Windows
version of this command is left as an exercise for the reader.

ip6addrctl add 2a01:298:3:1::2/128 5 1