IPv6 Subnet tool

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Thu Jan 15 00:50:38 CET 2009

David Conrad wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
>> The space allocated to us and even more has been left to be allocated in
>> needed. A /29 total per RIPE member in the RIPE region if i recall
>> right, that gets a /32 allocated.
>
> I hope not.  Turns out reservation in IPv4 resulted in lots of tiny
> holes that few folks wanted (although I suspect that'll be changing
> soon).  The reason the RIRs were allocated /12s from IANA was that the
> RIRs had committed to _stop_ reserving space and instead do sparse
> allocation via the "bisection" method.  This would allow LIRs to grow
> while minimizing the number of non-aggregatable prefixes granted to any
> one ISP.  IIRC, APNIC was doing this.  Not sure about the other RIRs.

The GRH (Ghost Router Hunter) Project gives you a quite good idea on the
spacing of allocations/assigments to LIRs.

http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/

For RIPE it is quite consistant: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/ripe/

ARIN however already has a mess:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/arin/
Some of those IPv6 PI allocations could have been aggregated during
allocation, but i probably don't see the bigger picture here.

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for PIv6, but please don't give multiple
 allocations to one and the same business, if it can be aggregated.
That's definatly going to mess the table up.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--
Airwire - Ag Nascadh Pobal an Iarthar