IPv6 Subnet tool

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jan 15 00:39:13 CET 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> David Conrad wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
>>> Perhaps I'm just not seeing the problem that assigning a /56 solves.
>> How many /12s, /18s, /19s, and even /32s are their in IPv6 compared
>> IPv4?  :-)
> Theoretically, assigned or announced ?

Theoretically (it was sort of a trick question).

> No, honestly, I don't see what the point of this discussion is.

Joe doesn't see the problem assigning /56s solves.  I was pointing out
(in an overly oblique way) that current policies have resulted in the
same size prefixes being allocated to ISPs that are being allocated in
IPv4 today. As a result, some folks have expressed concern that we'll
be facing IPv6 runout far sooner than originally anticipated.

Regards,
-drc