IPv6 Subnet tool

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jan 15 00:29:59 CET 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> The space allocated to us and even more has been left to be
> allocated in
> needed. A /29 total per RIPE member in the RIPE region if i recall
> right, that gets a /32 allocated.

I hope not.  Turns out reservation in IPv4 resulted in lots of tiny
holes that few folks wanted (although I suspect that'll be changing
soon).  The reason the RIRs were allocated /12s from IANA was that the
RIRs had committed to _stop_ reserving space and instead do sparse
allocation via the "bisection" method.  This would allow LIRs to grow
while minimizing the number of non-aggregatable prefixes granted to
any one ISP.  IIRC, APNIC was doing this.  Not sure about the other
RIRs.

Regards,
-drc