IPv6 Subnet tool

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Thu Jan 15 00:17:43 CET 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
> Martin List-Petersen wrote:
>> As for assigning only a /56 to end-users or by default, this is very
>> sensible, even though us ISPs have been given a huge amount of IP space.
>> But hell, when /8's were given out, there was no shortage of them
>> either, was there ?
>
> I have long advocated flexibility in allocations for this reason,
> among others. One of the things I've never understood about the
> "everyone gets a /48" idea is that different people have different
> ideas of what the units of "everyone" are. (Even in this one thread if
> you look carefully.)
>
> The more important reason I believe in being conservative initially is
> that if I'm wrong, it's easy to go the other direction. "We assigned
> you a /56 initially to be on the safe side, but it's 10 years after
> widespread IPv6 deployment now and we've tons of addresses after all,
> so here is a /48, via con dios." OTOH, the initial IPv4 deployment has
> taught us that once someone gets a block they hold onto it with an
> iron fist, thus making it nearly impossible to move in the other
> direction if it turns out that those of us who urged more conservative
> policies were right all along.
>
> Please note, it is not my intention to revisit this entire debate, I
> fully realize that it's a hobby horse for a lot of people. :)

The space allocated to us and even more has been left to be allocated in
needed. A /29 total per RIPE member in the RIPE region if i recall
right, that gets a /32 allocated.

I've always found, that no matter if it's a hobby horse, commercial or
not, with reasonable ISPs you could get any amount of IP allocations
that you argumented for, depending on the product that you paid for. If
an ISP doesn't allow for that, I wouldn't sign up with them. Basically,
if your ISP doesn't deliver the product that you expect, vote with your
feet.

With IPv6 that will not be different. We'll be assigning /64 to each
customer by default, optionally a /56 can be routed to them and we'll be
doing it in /48 increments until we run out.

If we see, that we're running out of space, we can always fill the gaps :).

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--
Airwire - Ag Nascadh Pobal an Iarthar