Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Thu Mar 27 19:22:08 CET 2008

> We (SixXS) have thought about this, thus allowing people to have
> multiple tunnels to the same, or, if the ISP is the same and are happy
> with it, to different PoPs. Thus the ISP takes care of the global
> routing, thus only their /32 etc. Internally one would have a few more
> routes though. But that all depends on time for actually implementing it
> and it is not something that a lot of people will use thus is not a high
> priority.
>
> In Michael's case though, we don't have a closeby tunnelbroker though,
> thus that would be one of the first things to get going.
> As Bernhard mentioned, that is in effect just a colo'd box with a large
> amount of IPv6 space routed to it.

Tunnels, tunnels, tunnels!  Argh!

Folks, please.  We seriously need to think beyond tunnels.  We're facing
really serious problems in just a couple of years time and yet all we can
think about is just building tunnels all over the place.

Tunnels are not good engineering practice.  Tunnels cause things to break
in lots of interesting and difficult to diagnose ways.  Tunnels fail and
don't get noticed.  Tunnels reduce your MTU.  Tunnels cause obesity and
premature baldness.  Are we really serious that in the middle of 2008, that
they are the best we can do?  Seriously?

Tunnels are premeditated fossils and pre-planned obsolescence.  They are
toys and should be treated as such.  Please let's not treat them as
anything else.  Let them die in a fire.  Let them drop off your router
configuration.  Let them fade away into a fast and peaceful death.  But for
goodness sake, don't plan tunnels into your network from the start.  They
have no place in a well-designed network.

Michael, you really need to get your own ipv6 address range, get an ASN and
talk BGP.  You can do cute and interesting things and have multiple access
points from your network into multiple upstreams.  Yeah, you can fudge
around with tunnels and build brokenness into your network from day 1, but
trust me, you'll regret it.

Nick