Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Mar 27 19:51:52 CET 2008

Nick Hilliard wrote:
[..]
> Tunnels, tunnels, tunnels!  Argh!
>
> Folks, please.  We seriously need to think beyond tunnels.

For the last couple of years most people have. But unfortunately in some
places getting IPv6 is not possible natively. As such, in those cases,
people will use tunnels to get ready, and then later on replace it for
native. At least the people using this will have the experience in their
local network and connectivity. Not everybody is so fortunate to live in
Europe where getting IPv6 connectivity at the ISP level (go to $IX and
connect) is so easy. SixXS covers the endsites, as getting IPv6 over
your DSL link is in many cases also not possible, and even providing
IPv6 to servers in colos seems to be quite cumbersome for a lot of ISPs
even though that is just Ethernet. I hope that improves of course, in
the mean time we'll just have to tunnel over those places where there is
not native connectivity.

Note that SixXS (actually the ISPs that provide the PoPs for the
project, so that the userbase that they select can use them) only
provide connectivity to end-sites, not to other ISPs.

The only reason why there is talk about doing BGP to endsites is for
redundancy reasons (as not everything is always as stable as you would
want to).

As I partially mentioned, the end-site would then get a /48 out of the
ISP space, but be able to use multiple tunnels and do BGP for their /48
over that. The rest of the world just sees the aggregate of the ISP, and
nothing else.

This is a good thing, unless, you want all those /48's of everybody
popping up in the routing tables and get a real mess of course ;)

And if you check GRH you will find that there are organizations who are
already doing exactly that unfortunately.

Greets,
  Jeroen