Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Thu Mar 27 14:30:13 CET 2008

Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> [..]
>>> 3) There are multiple tunnels to the tunnel broker, but all are
>>> routing the
>>>   same /48. which then decides where to
>>>   send subsets of the /48 based on (some) set of oslr statistical
>>> feedback via whatever
>>>   protocol, presumably BGP.  Who listens? Does any tunnel broker do
>>> this?
>>
>> This was an idea I had as well. I don't think any public tunnelbroker
>> can or will offer this
>
> We (SixXS) have thought about this, thus allowing people to have
> multiple tunnels to the same, or, if the ISP is the same and are happy
> with it, to different PoPs. Thus the ISP takes care of the global
> routing, thus only their /32 etc. Internally one would have a few more
> routes though. But that all depends on time for actually implementing
> it and it is not something that a lot of people will use thus is not a
> high priority.
The advantage in this case is as the mesh grows, additional gateways
along the edges can be added fairly quickly with only the core router
and the edge mesh router being updated, the rest of the routing
information flows back into the mesh and the load is automatically
balanced. (big handwave there) And no TCP resets.

Although keeping it on a central ISP is a downside, at least most
outages can be avoided (cat tripped over the router, a backhoe in one
part of town, etc)

> In Michael's case though, we don't have a closeby tunnelbroker though,
> thus that would be one of the first things to get going.
I was looking over your deployment map. (http://www.sixxs.net/pops/)
You've come a ways... glad to see you are rolling out things in
america... I take it australia is hard to penetrate?
> As Bernhard mentioned, that is in effect just a colo'd box with a
> large amount of IPv6 space routed to it.

Just a BSD box I take it?