[Fwd: [dns-operations] AAAA records to be added for root servers]

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Jan 15 18:42:38 CET 2008

On 4 Jan 2008, at 2:04am, Brandon Butterworth wrote:

[...]

> % /48s being allocated today are the 192/8 class Cs of yesteryear,
> with the
> % same challenges in filtering.  They are being allocated to RIR
> policy so
> % unless an ISP decides they are going to impose filters more
> strict than what
> % the RIRs allocate, they're sort of stuck.
>
> I think it was a bad move making PI the same as end user space, if it
> was shorter it'd not get cought up in simplistic filtering and with
> a simple filter rule there'd be more chance of it being enforced.

I think the RIRs considered this when the policies were approved. All
the PI assignments come from defined prefixes and the details are
published on their web sites. I expect it should be possible to
define four filters: one for each RIR with an IPv6 PI policy. I don't
know if anyone's taken the initiative and published sample filters
for Cisco, Juniper and other vendor equipment but the raw data are here:

http://www.afrinic.net/Registration/resources.htm
http://www.apnic.net/db/min-alloc.html
http://www.arin.net/reference/micro_allocations.html
http://www.lacnic.net/en/registro/

> Say
> PI was /34 or something then as we're accepting that logically
> it's fine for people to deagg to that too so a /34 filter would
> allow PI to exist but stop any excessive deagg (still going
> be a big swamp just a bounded swamp)

If I was going to choose a prefix length other than /48 I'd try and
choose one a boundary that allowed easy reverse DNS delegation: /44
or /40 or /36. /34 is a little bit awkward and is likely to make
things unnecessarily complicated.

Regards,

Leo