BCP: Slicing a /32 for an ISP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Apr 14 03:48:17 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> Can anyone here provide any feedback, positive or
> negative to the way they have done this?

We did the following (this applies just to our network -
different strokes for different folks):

* From the allocated /32
* Carve out a /48 per PoP

* From each /48 assigned to each PoP
* Carve out /64's for various services
* From the main PoP's /64, carve out a set of:

		- network-wide Loopback addresses

* From /48's assigned to each PoP
* Carve out /64's for each of the following:

		- routing & switching infrastructure
		- production servers & services
		- WAN point-to-point links (customers)

* Drilling deeper into each PoP's assignment:

		- /128 for Loopback addresses
		- /112 used for routing & switching kit
			* border
			* core
			* edge
			* peering

		- /112 used for production servers & services
		- /126 used for WAN point-to-point links

* /48 assignments to customers

We prefer to "control the destiny" of our production
network, and as such, are not into autoconfiguration,
hence, we don't assign /64 addresses to interfaces.

Cheers,

Mark.