Connectivity to Latin American NRENs

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Oct 11 12:59:41 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 09:51:52AM +0100, Carlos Friacas wrote:

> Not sure if i've seen this in english... but last month (20th Sept) the
> Brazilian NREN (RNP) announced that they activated IPv6 on their transit
> connection towards Global Crossing (on 13th Sept).
> Geographically, they are a big part of South America.... :-)

That's why I wrote "most educational destinations" :-)

Maybe it is finally time for combined efforts by the large commercial
carriers to shutdown the full-table "filler-feeds" they have (for
example UPC for C&W, ANC for GBLX, I guess IIJ for Tiscali, no clue who
that is for NTT). Whoever is not a downstream customer of at least one
of them isn't globally visible, period.

I'm not a big fan of the Tier-1/Tier-2 structure that might evolve out
of this, but at the moment I think paths like in my original posting are
worse.

Just my two very briefly evaluated cents, I'm not too sure this is going
to work. But something finally needs to be done about people hooking up
with 3000mi tunnels expecting global reachability.

The other option would be to kill of the known full-table leaks, e.g.

6175 17715 6435
6175 2497 3257 3549 6830 6830 12401 - argh!
6939 2497 3257 6175 - oh come on, seriously?
(6939|3257) 2497 2500 2914
6939 2516 7660

That should improve quality quite a bit.

Regards,
Bernhard