BCP for multisite multihoming

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Wed May 23 16:57:01 CEST 2007

> In general, given the liberalization of PI allocation policies either
> implemented or being discussed (and likely to be implemented) in all
> RIRs, it isn't clear to me that aggregation remains a goal.

FWIW, I believe it most definitely remains a goal.

> The question is, is this a problem?  I have a gut feeling it is (both
> in terms of aggregation and efficiency), but folks at router vendors
> are telling us not to worry about the routers scaling and folks at
> the IETF are saying not to worry about address assignment
> efficiency...

Whether it is a problem or not, it is foolish to (needlessly) take
steps now that cannot be reversed later, if the situation on the
ground changes. One of the lessons of aggregation is that you have to
plan for it in advance, you can't add it later, at least not without
requiring folk to renumber, and forced renumbering is exactly the kind
of requirement we should NOT depend on being able to do easily down
the road.

Thomas