BCP for multisite multihoming

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Tue May 22 20:15:53 CEST 2007

Thomas,

On May 22, 2007, at 8:15 AM, Thomas Narten wrote:
>> Irrelevant for the question being asked, however I believe the IETF
>> and RIRs have spoken that address use efficiency isn't relevant with
>> IPv6.
> This is going to far in the other extreme, from my perspective.
> Address use efficiency is (of course) still important, but the overall
> balance between "efficiency" and "aggregation" has shifted with
> IPv6.

The question at hand is how to implement multi-site multihoming.
According to existing policies, the highest likelihood of obtaining
the desired end is to allocate to each site a /32.  In such a case,
neither aggregation nor efficiency is gained.

In general, given the liberalization of PI allocation policies either
implemented or being discussed (and likely to be implemented) in all
RIRs, it isn't clear to me that aggregation remains a goal.

The question is, is this a problem?  I have a gut feeling it is (both
in terms of aggregation and efficiency), but folks at router vendors
are telling us not to worry about the routers scaling and folks at
the IETF are saying not to worry about address assignment efficiency...

Rgds,
-drc
(speaking personally, of course)