ip6.int deprecation

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon May 8 23:04:32 CEST 2006

At 01:14 AM 9/05/2006, Pim van Pelt wrote:
>On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:49:01PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
>| > Regarding Bill's posting earlier, I'm sure we can get at least
>| > ip6.int's children cleaned up fairly quickly.
>|
>| Why not just remove ip6.int and be done with it, finally?
>How can we as operators request the removal of ip6.int? IE, who is the
>responsible entity that can request this on our behalf? I don't know
>much about this entity, but don't care for the politics involved.

The IETF generated this request back in August 2001

RFC 3152: August 2001, Section 2

2. Obsoleted Usage

    This document deprecates references to IP6.INT in [RFC1886] section
    2.5, [RFC2553] section 6.2.3, [RFC2766] section 4.1, [RFC2772]
    section 7.1.c, and [RFC2874] section 2.5.

    In this context, 'deprecate' means that the old usage is not
    appropriate for new implementations, and IP6.INT will likely be
    phased out in an orderly fashion.

The subsequent conversation has been all about the mechanics of how to
implement "phased  out in an orderly fashion."

Geoff