N reasons for not deploying ipv6 (was: Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN])

Eric Klein ericlklein at softhome.net
Tue Apr 18 10:36:02 CEST 2006

David Conrad on April 17, 2006 at  wrote:
>> For example, in spite of the fact that "school children in China  are
>> literally starving for IP addresses; a school system with  60,000 schools
>> (in 2000) applied for IPv4 addresses and was awarded  an entire Class C
>> network (just 254 actual IPv4 addresses for the  many millions of
>> children and teachers)" [1], and the fact that  "China now has 111
>> million Internet users, second only to the  United States" [2]
>
> Sigh.  I do get tired of this particular myth and I wish people would
> apply a bit of critical thought before repeating it.  See http://
> www.apnic.net/news/hot-topics/internet-gov/ip-china.html for the  actual
> state of IPv4 addressing in China.

I am not claiming that there is a problem, just taht there is a perception
of a problem, this is why I cited the source article that put forth this
claim. But you should note that the article references a single incident in
2000 and the APNIC response says that "This has not been true since sometime
in 2000 or 2001" meaning that this single example might have been true and
then rectified since.

But thanks for the link, it is very informative and helpful.