[narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Christian Kratzer ck at cksoft.de
Sat Apr 15 19:57:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> I don't know if its just me, but this seems like a rather futile response.
> Where people have put a lot of work into something, the least you could do
> when coming back with a message like this, is to explain the reasoning behind
> the post.  I'm curious as to exactly what you mean by this?  Care to explain,
> rather than to flame?

The irony in this is that your quote: "Where people have put a lot of
work into something ..." would fit equally well into the design decisions
that went into desigining IPv6 so that the TLA identifizer was made
up of 13 bits.

This is a slap in the face of those who wanted to keep the DFZ managable.

The rationale behind this has propably been discussed to death and should
be known to everybody on this list.

> Thanks
>
> Andrew Alston
>
> Roger Jorgensen wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 james at towardex.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure many of you have already seen this... but finally the community
>>> has spoken: PI /48 for end-sites :)
>>>
>>> Looks like we're almost there... many thanks to everyone, Kevin and Owen
>>> who voiced this issue at ARIN meetings!
>>>

>> Thanks for ruining ipv6 as a good alternative to IPv4.

and in this context I can fully understand Rogers comment.

Greetings
Christian

Christian Kratzer                       ck at cksoft.de
CK Software GmbH                        http://www.cksoft.de/
Phone: +49 7452 889 135                 Fax: +49 7452 889 136