[narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Sat Apr 15 20:41:17 CEST 2006

Ok, personally so far I think this thread has actually lacked any
technical arguments, for or against (Not saying that the discussion has
lacked them, but I definately havent seen them on this thread on this
list so far).

So, I figure Im going to through in my 2 cents, and as a proponent of V6
PI space I will state my case, and I'm interested to hear the rebuttles
from the other side.

First of all, lets look at the argument about huge routing tables and
the problems that deaggregating V6 will create.

At current, there are about 180 thousand routes in the global table, on
a single processor P2 with 128meg of ram running FreeBSD, you can run
dual feeds with quagga with no problems, trust me, I tried it.  So, lets
look at it, at the moment, there are a LARGE number of companies that
are announcing a fair number of v4 blocks, /24s etc, because they get
one block, the company grows, they get another etc.  With the allocation
of /48s to PI end points, this situation will not occur (as much, though
there are plenty of cases where a company may need more than a /48), so
this will actually REDUCE the size of the routing table from the current
v4 state imho.  This will probably be offset by the amount of redundancy
that is becoming more and more common place, resulting in more PI space
being allocated, so in the end not much will actually change.

With the current development of routers and routing hardware, and the
rate that V6 is growing, by the time this actually becomes a problem,
the problem should have been solved by larger and faster hardware
anyway, look at the difference in what hardware from 5 years ago can
handle versus hardware of today.

Now, lets leave that issue alone, lets look at another point, the
ability to deannounce space in the case of a serious problem occuring
(DDOS etc).  While this might be a minor point in many peoples lives, at
the moment, if a customer is being seriously attacked and it is
affecting the performance of the companies upstreams, it is possible to
filter their announcements, so that their entire block is no longer
announced onto the Internet *AT ALL*,until such time as the problem is
resolved.  With the lack of PI space and the massive aggregation, this
is no longer an option for an upstream, as when the attacks occur, they
can no longer deannounce the customers block, as they will be announcing
the aggregation anyway and the traffic will still flow.  This removes a
level of protection that is important to a fair number of people that I
have spoken to.

Then there is the other major point, companies *WANT* to be able to
multi-home, and as of yet I do not personally believe that there is any
REAL solution to this other than PI space, (some would argue for shim6,
many others would argue that this solution is not ideal and doesnt work
as intended and is hampering the rollout of IPv6)  What other solutions
do we have other than SHIM6?

There are other reasons for PI space beyond this of course, but these
are the major points that come to mind, now, can someone who has a
logical and technically minded argument AGAINST the PI space, please
stand up and state the case, rather than these blanket statements that
PI space kills IPv6 as a decent alternative to IPv4 etc.  State the case
technically, lets hear the technical arguments, instead of a flame war
that helps no one.

Just my thoughts

Andrew Alston
TENET - Chief Technical Officer