v6 routing pessimism

Alexander Koch koch at tiscali.net
Wed May 18 18:52:24 CEST 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 02:50:03 +1000, Philip Smith wrote:
[..]
> And last year I "fixed" non-US transits by local pref'ing them out of
> sight at my end, and doing the single AS-PATH prepend outbound.

Ehm... brute force with regards to localpref, and the
smallest of all things you could do for outbound?

> 109 appears twice in the AS-PATH - so it takes some pretty
> severe brokenness to send stuff our way.

I beg to differ. Given current AS paths and typical
suppliers of real v6 transit are not that wide- spread,
then clearly one prepend is not enough to accomplish that,
judging by experience alone. I could be wrong.

> But... I've had sufficient conversations with people in the last couple
> of weeks (i.e. at RIPE and at NANOG) that I'm going to take a serious
> look at the transit provision we are doing. I really dislike seeing some
> of the routing mess here, and definitely don't want to be seen as
> inadvertently contributing to it.

Thanks lots for having a look there. Kick your peers to do
real peering instead of other methods maybe like in v4? But
I welcome that move a lot, thanks Phil!

Alexander