v6 routing pessimism

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Wed May 18 18:50:03 CEST 2005

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Roesen said the following on 19/05/2005 02:11:

> Cisco stopping to play tunnel transit left-and-right around the world
> would be a first good step to help preventing those kind of things to
> happen. :-)

Well, for the record we've added no new "transit" tunnels for at least
two years. There are sufficient providers of IPv6 connectivity now that
Cisco doesn't really need to be helping with providing this boot strap
service any more.

And last year I "fixed" non-US transits by local pref'ing them out of
sight at my end, and doing the single AS-PATH prepend outbound. 109
appears twice in the AS-PATH - so it takes some pretty severe brokenness
to send stuff our way. Maybe I need to do more prepends, but I suspect
it's broken filtering somewhere along the way that's causing some of this.

But... I've had sufficient conversations with people in the last couple
of weeks (i.e. at RIPE and at NANOG) that I'm going to take a serious
look at the transit provision we are doing. I really dislike seeing some
of the routing mess here, and definitely don't want to be seen as
inadvertently contributing to it.

best wishes!

philip