v6 routing pessimism

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Wed May 18 20:31:41 CEST 2005

Alexander Koch said the following on 19/05/2005 02:52:

> Ehm... brute force with regards to localpref, and the
> smallest of all things you could do for outbound?

It was the first step of a plan I had a year ago... I haven't had time
to take the next step... But doing it now, and over the next few weeks.

> I beg to differ. Given current AS paths and typical
> suppliers of real v6 transit are not that wide- spread,
> then clearly one prepend is not enough to accomplish that,
> judging by experience alone. I could be wrong.

It's actually a good question. I don't know either, and I could be wrong
too. When I did the prepend, the major problems of intra-European
traffic going via San Jose had disappeared. At least, people stopped
complaining to me. ;-) So I thought maybe the difference between Gert's
severe and relaxed prefix filters was causing the current problems (we
implement the relaxed filters, btw, which would explain us being used
for transit despite the prepend).

> Thanks lots for having a look there. Kick your peers to do
> real peering instead of other methods maybe like in v4? But
> I welcome that move a lot, thanks Phil!

No problems, sorry to everyone for leaving this for so long.

philip