New RIPE allocations outside 2001::/16 - filter update time!

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon May 2 12:18:10 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 01:06:55PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2005, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> >While you're updating your filters anyway, please revisit your decisions
> >and consider using a "relaxed" version. For examples, see:
>
> I guess there could be a middle ground for those who want a low(er)
> maintenance version -- allow everything up to /32 or /35, and deny the
> rest (except maybe the special microalloc block).  ("Relaxed" allows
> everything up to /48 which is quite a bit too relaxed for my taste at
> least.)

That would mean that:

- special exceptions for /48 microallocs have to be made

- poor man's multihoming (using more-specifics of PA aggregates) would
  get hindered even more

- filters need updating again as soon as PI is finally being approved
  by the ISP communities

> That would encourage folks not to pollute the global routing table
> with their more specifics.

In my book, enduser multihoming is no pollution but as valid use as any
ISP multihoming (PA agregates). I know you disagree, so we better leave
it at that. :-)

But I see the point that people are leaking more-specifics accidentally.
Those can be contacted and educated though. Not an easy task, granted.

Best regards,
Daniel