New RIPE allocations outside 2001::/16 - filter update time!

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon May 2 12:21:31 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Daniel Roesen wrote:
>> That would encourage folks not to pollute the global routing table
>> with their more specifics.
>
> In my book, enduser multihoming is no pollution but as valid use as any
> ISP multihoming (PA agregates). I know you disagree, so we better leave
> it at that. :-)
>
> But I see the point that people are leaking more-specifics accidentally.
> Those can be contacted and educated though. Not an easy task, granted.

Yeah, but the key point is that "more specifics multihoming" is
in many cases more or less indistinguishable from acciental leaking,
traffic engineering for various (or no) reasons, and all the other
stuff that ends up in the routing tables.

Looking at how unsuccessful we've been at avoiding or cleaning swamps
in v4, it may be better to avoid going there with v6 in the first
place.